Fueled by general growth in the health care sector, demand for health services management professionals is on the rise. In fact, health services management is one of the fastest-growing career fields today. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that employment for medical and health services managers, which includes jobs for health informatics and health information management professionals, will grow by 17 percent between 2014 and 2024.
With the explosion in health care data, health informatics and information management have become increasingly important to population health management and information exchange. As the BLS stated, "As health information technology (HIT) gains broader adoption, health care providers will increasingly rely on health information professionals for health information and HIT systems."
Variety of Careers
Graduates of the Master of Health Informatics & Health Information Management program are prepared to advance to senior leadership positions in areas such as compliance and risk management, informatics and data analytics, information technology and health records. Over 60 percent of recent MHIHIM grads reported earning promotions or taking new positions after starting the program.
Roles of graduates might include:
- Director of clinical informatics
- Regional director of health information management
- Director of risk management
- Vice president of revenue cycle management
- Chief compliance officer
- Chief data officer
- Senior project director (electronic health record systems, information systems development)
- Consultant (compliance, applied informatics, analytics)
- Privacy officer
Recent Job Placements for MHIHIM Grads
- Director, Medical Informatics, Neighborcare Health
- Business Intelligence Analyst, Kaiser Permanente
- Configuration Analyst, Kaiser Permanente
- Medical Data Analyst, Microsoft
- Quality Practice Consultant, UnitedHealthcare
- Senior Quality Improvement Specialist, Molina Healthcare
- Nutritional Informatics, Seattle Children's
- Program Manager, Health Services, The UW School of Public Health
- Health IT Operations Manager, Sound Mental Health
- Health Informatics & Metrics Coordinator, Sea Mar Community Health
- IT Program Director, CHI Prominence Health
- Meaningful Use Associate Advisor, Purdue Healthcare Advisors
- Privacy Analyst, Providence Health & Services
- Senior Project Manager, Providence Health & Services
To read about the careers of some of our outstanding graduates, visit the Student Stories page.